Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Al-Khan: Taking Comics to the next level

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

If you're a fan of "Daily News Egypt" you've already seen "Al-Khan", and if you haven't, then maybe it's time for you to.
Al-Khan is the first-of-a-kind comic strip here in Egypt, although the art itself was out and about in the Status and Europe starting the 30s and the 40s, but it never been published in the Arab world, maybe because of the stereotyping anything with drawings to Children Art.

Of course, that's not true, giving the fact that the idea of "Gig-a-Day" is mainly aimed for adults, as a daily response to society's day-to-day news using characters the readers are used to, and how the news are effecting their lives.

Tarik Shahin, a famous comics artist and cartoonist, started publishing his daily "Al-Khan" comic strip around May of last year, and it started to give a buzz couple of months afterward, giving the fact that his characters are lovable and interesting, showing the different levels and mintalities of the Egyptian socieity in a daily witty and funny way.

Shahin took the idea of daily caricature to the next level, adding more value to it, and make it a way to express different points of view through a comic strip that will make you think and respond rather than just read and laugh, and actually gives you a deeper look to the mentality of different people around you.

Shahin makes sure that he won't stand on one side of the river, he gives all of his characters the chance to show how they think, what are their reasons and what impact they have on each others, in a way that's both funny and logical.

the book was really one hell of a read, I enjoyed 80% of it, and the other 20% I didn't get for reasons I think is related to me rather to the book.

The book is published by Dar Malamih, the same publisher of "Metro".
P.S: the photos in this review belong to Tarik Shahin and Daily News Egypt, no copyrigt violation was intended.


Post a Comment

◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates. Distributed by Deluxe Templates